According to the U.S. Census:
• Less than 25% of families are traditional nuclear families.
• 50% are some form of stepfamily one, or both, biological parents has a new partner
• 2 out of 3 break up
Some tips to make it work.
10 Steps for the New School Year as a Stepfamily:
A Time To Reorganize
- Set specific routines for the AM and PM. Prepare for the next day the night before by laying out clothes, homework, and book bags.
- Rules, forms and norms must be decided by the both of you and written as the House Rules.
- Decide on your roles as Male and Female Head of House.
- Go over your House Rules as a couple. Present them for this year together in a family meeting.
- Create structure with expected manners, chores, responsibilities and positive and negative consequences.
- Be Predicable. If you say it! Do it! Make a rule and enforce that rule.
- As a couple remind and support each other in keeping order and forms and norms.
- Remember being organized with clear, agreed upon discipline, guidance, love and encouragement is the most important job of the heads of the family.
- Take your place as leader in your stepfamily. The children win at life when you have the courage do what you need to do to make a happy family. Enjoy the benefits and seeing the kids thrive in the new order.
- Guard your sense of humor.
The Stepfamily Foundation is a not for profit founded in 1976. It provides a membership, research, telephone counseling and Certification Seminars for Professionals and Coaches.