Labor Day heralds the beginning of school for families day all over America.
According to the U.S. Census:
• Less than 25% of families are traditional nuclear families.
• 50% are some form of stepfamily one, or both, biological parents has a new partner
• 2 out of 3 break up.
Below are some tips to make it work:
10 Steps for the New School Year as a Stepfamily:
A Time To Reorganize
2. Rules, forms and norms must be decided by the both of you and written as the House Rules.
3. Decide on your roles as Male and Female Head of House.
4. Go over your House Rules as a couple. Present them for this year together in a family meeting.
5. Create structure with expected manners, chores, responsibilities and positive and negative consequences.
6. Be Predicable. If you say it! Do it! Make a rule and enforce that rule.
7. As a couple remind and support each other in keeping order and forms and norms.
8. Remember being organized with clear, agreed upon discipline, guidance, love and encouragement is the most important job of the heads of the family.
9. Take your place as leader in your stepfamily. The children win at life when you have the courage do what you need to do to make a happy family. Enjoy the benefits and seeing the kids thrive in the new order.
10.Guard your sense of humor